Our topic this term is all about disasters.
This project has a geography focus and teaches children about the causes and impact of natural disasters involving water, flooding and erosion and the environmental factors which cause them. At the heart of this project children write reports using factual data with global dimension. In addition children develop skills to write leaflets and present findings from tests and investigations using scientific and geographical language.
In the Innovate Stage children apply their skills and understanding by creating a filmed news report/documentary about the future dangers of flooding, erosion and environmental damage.
In this project the children will learn:
• How to use geographical field work skills on coastlines and rivers;
• How to use data and draw conclusions from it;
• How to make maps and plans and use geographical resources;
• About the environmental impact of global warming;
• How to write reports and a range of other information texts;
• About the characteristics of a range of different rocks and soils;
• How to use multimedia to create film.
Reminder: PE is on Mondays and Thursdays.
How can I help my child?
Please bring in any newspaper reports about flooding or natural disasters.
Please watch children's news programmes and discuss what you have seen.
Please help your child to learn their 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables.